Thursday, January 8, 2015

Whole 30

So I guess it's time I start updating this bad boy a little more frequently :)

Nothing like a New Year's Resolution to get you motivated!  My man and I started Whole30 on January 1st with some of our best friends and it has already been life changing!  I'm going to attempt to update this blog daily or at least every other day with what we made and what we liked.  I'll attempt to post really crappy photos for your viewing pleasure.  I don't claim to be a food photographer!   I will also try to point you to where most of our recipes are coming from to give credit where credit is due!

The general gist of Whole30 is this:
Yes to real foods.  Meat.  Eggs.  Tons of Vegetables.  Some fruit.  Plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds.  No processed foods if possible.

No to sugar, alcohol, grains, legumes, carrageenan, MSG or sulfites, and don't try to recreate baked goods, junk foods or treats.  

Let me just start with sugar.  Do you know how hard it is to find foods without sugar in them? Just start looking at your labels.  Seriously.  Go read a few and come back.  Did you see it? Sugar, in any form, is in almost everything we eat.  Maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, coconut sugar, splenda, equal, nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia...All of these are forms of real or artifical sugar that we are to try to avoid.

The idea is to give your digestive system and Whole body a reset.  30 days to reset the way you think about food.  The way your body treats food.  And the way food affects all other areas of our lives.  Almost every social function surrounds itself around food.  Trust me.  I've been invited to half a dozen since we've started this and I'm amazed at what we eat at social functions.  We pack our own snacks or eat before we go so that we're not tempted.  And truth be told.  I'm not really tempted.  Sure, that chocolate chip cookies looks tasty or yes, the nachos smell amazing but I know exactly what they'll do to my system what I eat them and do I want that? No thank you!

So wish us luck.  Or say a prayer.  We are attempting to completely change the way our family views food one meal at a time.  We're already 7 days in at this point and loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment