Thursday, August 2, 2012

apple peeler

We were recently blessed with some free produce.  I probably had 20 apples of all different varieties and they were all about to turn.  So, I made some delicious apple crumb bars.  They were really tasty!  I also made some home made apple sauce in our mini crock pot and that too was tasty!  But what to do with all the peels and cores?  I felt bad just tossing them and since we don't compost yet I didn't know where to put them (we've also had quit the fruit fly problem as of late so the trash can was out).
Thank you google.
I always appreciate your willingness to answer my questions immediately and with multiple choices.
I could just cook the stuff in a pot of water to fill my house with a lovely scent.
I could make apple tea but since it's 90+ degress out most days I opted out of hot tea.
So I made apple jam.  Well, it's actually more like apple honey.  But's it's super tasty.  We put it on our french toast yesterday morning and I made our lunch with it and peanut butter. Just boil down the peels and cores with at least 8 cups of water.  Then strain.  Then cook the apple juice with sugar (I used about a 1 to 4 ratio of sugar to juice) until it reaches 120 degrees. Then can.  Simple and delicious.

But the whole point of this post isn't the delicious recipes I've been finding/creating lately.  It's about my apple peeler.  (I got this as a gift from my grandmother and I doubt she spent more than $15 on it) The guy that makes it all possible.
Seriously- I know there is something to be said for doing it all by hand but this tool is simply amazing.  Cuts my time in half at least.  Plus- look how cute it is? 






No comments:

Post a Comment